Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Tuesday night singing

Well, tonight was an interesting night. We made our usual visit to Todd's Karaoke for one of our singing fixes. Tammy and I are both addicted to music. While we were outside for Tammy to smoke and for me to breathe (Funny how we do both in the same place), The owner Todd came out to get his camera out of his car. It seems, based on a few phone calls, that Richard Gere was in town and was looking for a quiet out of the way place to relax and have a few drinks. Let me tell ya, for those that don't know, Todd's is a quaint place. Quaint being a polite persons way of saying 'little hole in the wall'. It seemed unreasonable that any star would go out of their way to find it, although, one of the Backstreet Boys has been there a time or two.

A bit later a cab pulls up, while we were outside again (sometimes we are outside to escape some of the more horrendous singers), and a small party of 3 comes to Todds. In this party of 3 is one guy that could be a distant cousin of Richard Gere's. If Gere had grown a couple inches and had his face stretched, this could have been him. The eyes were wrong. The smile was wrong. It was funny that he would try to pass himself off as Gere. I guess to the less informed he might have been able to pull it off, but Tammy is a huge Gere fan. She wasn't buying it.

We went on with our evening as usual. I had sang 3 times already before they arrived and the next song I had in was "Seven Bridges Road" by the
Eagles. I did a good job with it. The guy that was with the fake Gere went crazy. He says he is the pilot that has flown in the generic Gere. He goes on and on with Tammy about how I have one of the best voices he has ever heard. I thank him politely.

The next song I do is "Cold one coming on" by
Montgomery Gentry. Once again the pilot, Angela, and the imitation Gere are all claps and whistles. Again, Kevin (the pilot) corners Tammy and insists that she formally introduce us. He meets me and tells me I have an "incredible voice" and "that I should be singing professionally". He wants to know if I would mind if he dropped my name around people that could do something about that. Of course, I told him I didn't mind. All the while, in the back of my head is this little voice saying, "Yeah, Right !"

It does turn out that he is a pilot. The girl that was with them works at BlueGrass Field. How the fake Gere works into the picture I have no clue or interest. Tammy told him that I had met and been asked to sing for the guitar player for John Michael Montgomery. He claims that he has flown JMM.

We will see what we will see.

I finished the night with "Keeper of the stars" by Tracy Byrd and a duet with my favorite singer, Tammy. We did "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley and Allison Krause.




No comments: