Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving

The day has arrived.

I Thes 5.18
"In every thing give thanks"
Hab 3.17-18

"Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation."

In these times, it might be hard to be thankful for the things going on around us. God tells us, through His Word, that we are to be a thankful people. We look around ourselves and find us in a terrible war in Iraq, the economy is still staggering, and we are still under threat from terrorist. It seems there would be little for which to be thankful.
If you read the Word in Thessalonians, He tells us to give thanks in everything. He doesn't tell us to be thankful for everything. I am not thankful that we are in a war. I am not thankful that my arthritis is getting worse. I am not thankful to have been off work most of the year. He didn't tell me that I was supposed to be. I am thankful for the meals I have had. I am thankful for the health I do have. I am thankful for the roof over my head. I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for brothers and sisters that love me, for Mom and Dad, for a wonderful wife, great kids, and grandchildren.
Draw in the wanderings of your minds for this moment. See the world closer to your home. See the blessings close to the house. For those, be thankful. Be thankful, that in everything happening in this world, you have love, and caring around you.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

No comments: