Thursday, November 06, 2008

old memories and empathic invasion

I hurt right back

I hurt
So I hurt right back
I can’t even remember
If I thought about it
If I wanted it
If I meant it
It hurt
So I hurt right back

I started thinking
I started wanting
I started meaning
And I got better
I knew just what to say
I knew just when to say it
I hurt
So I hurt right back

It became my drug
I waited for it
I looked for it
I knew it would come
I needed the rush
I needed the high
I hurt
So I hurt right back

Sharp words
Biting retort
Stinging expressions
It felt so natural
Nothing like
A learned response
I hurt
So I hurt right back

I didn’t know
What it did inside
I became less
Anger became more
The raw
Was the raw within
I hurt
So ..


It stopped
I looked at it
Eye to eye
I was scared
It wore my face
It had my voice
It knew my words
I hurt

I left it there
Railing in the wind
Hurling its venom
Screaming its rage
It could not be
My part anymore
I hurt
So, I walked away

Ron Simpson, Jr.
November 5, 2008

3 comments:

Gill said...

WOW this is awesome. Maybe some more people in the world should read this poem.
Thank you for your reply on my blog. I agree whole heartedly Children should be cherished.

Anonymous said...

oookay??? so what is this about daddy?

miruspeg said...

Very, very powerful poem Ron.

I so enjoy reading your posts.

Peggy