Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Next

I think I said this recently in a comment to someones blog. Back in 1984, while working on a steel mill in Canton Ohio, I played euchre with several of the other electricians. One of them (not my partner) was a real sore loser. If he and his partner lost a hand, and something was said about that hand during the deal for the next hand, he would huff and say, "That hand is over. Let's get on with this hand."

After last night, there are going to be many people that want to rehash all the old issues of the campaign. To all the armchair politico's, I say, "That hand is over. Let's get on with this hand."

I am not trying to be indifferent. I am not trying to be condescending. I did not agree with everything Barack Obama said. I did not agree with everything John McCain said.

The fact is this: Barack Obama won the election.


Whether you voted for him or not, it is time to put all that pettiness aside. Whether you like him or not, and that is your right, it is time to put that aside. It is time for us, as citizens, to get behind him. It is time for us, as Christians, to get behind him in prayer.

I prefer to think that the man leading our nation is doing so behind the prayerful support of his nation. I am quite sure he will do things I do not agree with. I will pray for him.

Two things struck me as encouraging last night above many other things.

The first was the gracious and eloquent concession speech by John McCain. He stated that he had called Barack Obama to "congratulate him on being elected the next president of the country that we both love."

The second was in Barack Obama's speech. He stated, "But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And, above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation, the only way it's been done in America for 221 years — block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand."

With all that is behind us, I look to tomorrow and say, "Next."

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Amen. I hope everyone can get behind him because he will need our help and prayers.