Sunday, January 16, 2005

One lines

I have written some one liners in the past. I keep some of them in a file marked "to be expanded". I have came to the realization recently, that some of those are just as good as they are gonna get in the form they are in now. This is not to say that they are perfect by any means. It is just saying they are as good as I am going to be able to make them. This realization came to me while Tammy and I were watching an 'oldie but goodie', Joe Vs. The Volcano. It was in the part where he was with the 'flibberdegibbet' and she was reciting one of her poems. It was one line. It was like a light coming on.

Here are some of the one liners I think are un-improvable:

You have loved me enough for a lifetime, yet left me yearning for a lifetime more.

Though I would never break you, I hold you like you are mine to break.

Her lips continually look as if there is one more kiss left on them.

Words springing from my heart, falling from my head, I catch them in my hands and spread them out on paper.

Some are more than one line, but still embrace one simple idea:
A man can no more own a woman than he can own his own breath. He can hold it for a while, but then he has to let it go. The sweetness is when it returns.

Why did I never know this kind of love existed?
To know it and not have it would create such an unbearable feeling of loss that the heart would not allow it. Even now, having this power in my life, this knowledge, this love, it sometimes overwhelms me. It carries me away like flood. I arrive on some distant shore, safe, sound, and dripping. The waves of this love dripping from me, shared with those around me. Until once more, I am carried away.

There are more, but I will save them for other times.

1 comment:

KC said...

" A man can no more own a woman than he can own his own breath. He can hold it for a while, but then he has to let it go. The sweetness is when it returns."

Absolutely beautiful Ron. And you're right, it doesn't get much better than that.