Saturday, September 04, 2004

Ahhhh.. Support

Ok .. I am back from work. I lived.

Actually, I got in from work a couple hours ago. I only worked 11 hours. It was hot and muggy in the plant. It no longer amazes me the disregard that Toyota has for those that keep their plant running. They have no production running on the weekends 90% of the time, but, the construction crews are in there every weekend fixing or changing things that cannot be worked on during production. The last shift leaves on Friday night/Saturday morning around 1AM. The AC goes off then. The fans shut down.
Now let me explain. Large scale buildings with AC do not work like your house. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to bring the temp and humidity down once it has risen. Toyota's position is that since none of their production people are there, they do not need to run even the fans to keep some air moving. By the time we got there this morning around 6, it was hot and humid enough to bring a sweat without moving. Then we went up into the screenguard, above the production lines on the floor. We were working 16 feet above the floor. It was HOT !

Then, add to that, it was filthy. Fine black metal dust covered everything we were working on. Between the sweat and the dust, I looked like a coal miner. Yep, you guessed. I loved it. I love working. I love the challenges of my job and the rewards.

While getting dressed this morning. I put on my support socks that help keep the fluid out of my lower legs. My legs (hereditarily) have a tendency to swell, especially after being on them for long periods of time. Over them I put on my regular white socks and boots. When I got home, I was took off the boots and was taking off the white socks. Chelsea looked up and say the black of the support socks and thought I had done something to my legs to make them black. I told her it was my support socks. She was inquisitive. I told her that all day long my socks were shouting "you can do it", and "way to go", and "Attaboy". They were supporting me. OK. I eventually told her what they really do. They keep my super powers from leaking out of my feet.

Anyway, I am off until next weekend. So, there will be regaling.

No comments: