Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A veritable plethora

Not really a plethora, but I like the word. Here are two poems I wrote today. I was going through some old files when I spotted these two started but never finished works. So I finished them. I asked TJ which she liked, figuring on posting one of them. She liked them both, so you get both. I hope you enjoy them.

Nothing to lose, nothing to keep


When you cannot see the value
Of those things about

When you cannot perceive the worth
Of the belongings you hold

When you do not notice
The intrinsic worth
Of the lives completing yours

Then you say things like
“I’ve got nothing to lose.”

What you are really saying is,
“I’ve got nothing to keep.”

Whatever trinket it is
That has caught your imagination
Has mesmerized your mind
To see no worth in your heart
Of the things you love
Of the things you might lose
Of the things you think not to keep
Of those things not properly valued
It cannot hope to contend
With the wealth you really do have to lose

Look about you
The things you think you carry about
Are, in truth, carrying you
What you suppose
Cannot be real without you
Actually make up your very being

You have everything to lose
Everything you are
Everything you cherish
Everything you ignore

Choose carefully
The things you have to lose
And the things you have to keep

Ron Simpson, Jr.
January 13, 2009


I noticed you

While I was too busy to say it
I still noticed you

While we were going to and fro
I noticed you

While we dealt with kids
And the issues surrounding them
I noticed you

While bills were being paid
And plans were being made
I noticed you

In the midst
Of all the complications
That makes up our lives
It is easy to lose sight
Of so many important things
Still, I noticed you

I don’t know
If you noticed me
While I was noticing you
But I noticed you

I noticed your pleasure
And your pain
I noticed your joy
And your sorrow
I noticed your strength
And your weakness
I noticed your happiness
And your sadness

I noticed you

Ron Simpson, Jr.
January 13, 2009

3 comments:

Gill said...

Oh i love them both but the second is my favourite one :)
Have a great day. Keep the poems coming, i love them :)

miruspeg said...

I LOVE them both too Ron.
The second one in particular would make a beautiful song. I wish I could write some music for you.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Peggy

Debbie said...

I like the second one the most too. It is beautiful Ron.
Hope you all are having a good weekend and staying warm.