Thursday, August 19, 2004

The pressure is ON

It is just after 9:30 AM and the pressure is rising. No, not the barometric pressure (Well, it may be rising, but it isnt what I am talking about).

Let me back up just a bit. It started at 7AM this morning. Alarms going off, demanding that we get out of bed and do the responsible thing and send the kids off to school. It was slap slap and 9 more minutes of cuddling. So, we get up, get the kids up, and begin the day. Today is different. Tammy has an appointment with her Physical Torturer .. er .. Therapist. She is having an assessment done on her wrist to determine the eventual usability for Workers Comp (she was injured at work by a client). She is taking Kyle to school and Sierra is going with her to the DR. I am taking Chelsea to school and Chris to work. Simple enough. No pressure.

She is out the door. Chelsea is dozing and ready to go. Chris is getting dressed. We are out the door at approximately 8:15 AM. Chella has to be at school no later than 8:30. Still, no pressure. I drop her off in plenty of time. Chris and I swing back around the circle and head to Eureka's Pizza. As we are driving past the house and approaching the stop sign just half a block from home, it happens.

The radio is on 98.1 FM, The Bull. There is some chick giving her gossip report on country music singers, as if it is the be all, do all, end all, of the world. Nothing is more important. I can hear her droning on like faint background noise when she wraps up her report. She says, and I quote, "Have a good rest of the day." There it is. Now I have to worry that my day, or the rest of it, will not be good. She could have taken it easy on us and told us to have a 'good rest of the morning'. That would be easy. It wasn't yet 8:30. The rest of the morning was only a few hours. NO ! She felt compelled to make it the 'rest of the day'.

Who teaches these people to apply this kind of pressure. Tomorrow, I will be up. The radio will be on. I will hear her voice droning again. It will be different this time. This time I will be researching my memory to be able to assure myself that the 'rest of my day' yesterday was good. It is almost 10AM. There has been no cake and ice cream. There have been no naked dancing girls. Tammy is off being tortured, so there is no cuddling and loving. The day is going downhill and I am still under the gun to have a good rest of the day.

Why ? Why ? Why? Why did I have to choose to listen the the radio? There are many CD's in the truck that would never dream of applying this kind of pressure on me. I could have had it off and been enjoying quiet quality conversation with Chris. We were talking. Not about imortant stuff like saving the world, protecting the envirnoment, or whether Brittney Spears is truly happy. It was just supposed to be back ground noise. Now, here I am. The walls are closing in on me. The sun is screaming thru the window. The traffic is humming out side. All of them, turning the crank, applying the pressure. I cannot take it any more. I am out of here.

Oh yeah. Have a good rest of the day, bastard.

No comments: