Monday, August 16, 2004

The Aftermath

The dust is settling. The kids have returned from their fast paced first day at school.

Kyle gets out at 2:50 at one of the worst traffic situated schools in town. You are not allowed to park in front of the school to wait for your child. You can park across the street if you want to arrive at 2:00 and wait, or you can try to park in the crowded school parking lot with just enough spaces for the staff. The problem with this is that the kids come out at the other end of the school. It was a source of constant fun last year when I would go to pick up Kyle. I would 'stop' in front of the school. They would come out to tell me that I could not park there. I would (politely, of course) explain to them that I was not parked, as my truck was still running and I was still inside it. This is known as stopping and not posted as an illegal activity. They would tell me that the police would write me a ticket. OK, let them. I would be the one to pay it and that too would be no skin off of their backs. They have decided that it is a waste of time to tell (threaten) us anymore.

Chelsea gets out of school at 3:40 at a school with just a slightly better parking/traffic situation. We meet Chelsea about a half a block from the school on the major street the school shares a corner with. It is just a parking bad dream, not a full fledged nightmare.

In the middle of those pickups, Tammy had to pick Sierra up from work. Her boss has scheduled her for starting at noon, several days this week. It has been explained to him that this has to be an only time deal. Her work cannot/will not interfere with her education.

Kyle is excited to be back in school. He has limited friend interaction here at the house. Most of his interaction is with friends of the older kids that visit. While Kyle is sometimes smarted than these visitors, he still needs friends of his own age to play with. Chelsea spent the day in the library or cafeteria, as the school has not gotten her schedule finished yet. Sierra is fussing with Jordan (her boyfriend) about being invisible. Yes, things are normal here.

No comments: