Wednesday, December 03, 2008

falling

it is 1:20 in the AM .. I should be sleeping .. I have slept much over the last few days fighting this cold/flu thing. Did I mention, I hate colds? ANYWAY, I am awake, although yawning right now. I am fixing to go to bed. I had a thought and an image running through my head. The image was of an nondescript hourglass. The thought was of just one of those grains of sand, so carefully calculated to cause all of them to fall through in the time allotted. I thought about just one individual grain. This is what fell out of my brain.

falling

one grain of spilling sand
one moment falling out of hand
time pulls like gravity
tumbling through the space between
one globe filled with time yet
the other filling with time past
the only moment
that is right now
is falling
while it has a relationship
with the sand before
and the sand following
it is still
just that one grain
falling
one moment of change
one moment of more of the same
soon to be part
of an indistinguishable pile
always there waiting
waiting to be joined
by other grains
by other moments
wondering
what will be the difference
what will I change
as I fall
between the globes

Ron Simpson, Jr.
December 3, 2008

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I was up in the middle of the night as well, but I am not nearly as coherent as you at that time. Another wonderful poem.