Monday, June 13, 2005

Reaching Overwhelming And Dangerous Range Anger Generating Emotions

Precursor to Road Rage ?

You hear the horror stories about road rage. Someone, for some unknown reason, snaps and starts offing drivers on the highway. We all shake our heads in collective disbelief and wonder what could push a person so far. We conclude that there must be something mentally wrong with the person consumed with the rage. It can't happen to normal folks. It cant happen to us. More importantly, it can't happen to those driving around us.

So, I was driving to work this morning along one of the three routes that I can take to work.

One is the highway. It is a little longer. It takes about as much time, but uses a little more gas because of the excessive speed required. There isn't lots of traffic out at the time I go to work, so it isn't an unpleasant drive.

Another is Todd's Road. It is a two lane filled with curves and turns. It is quicker from Winchester to Lexington, but loses it time advantage once I arrive inside the Lexington circle. Once there, I have to deal with a myriad of lights, stop signs, turns, and traffic. It is a nice scenic drive and not really all that bad if you are not in much of a hurry. I rarely am in a big hurry.

Then there is old Winchester Rd. It is a pretty straight shot to Winchester. It has less turns and curves than Todd's but more traffic. Some days it is a quick little zip to work. Other days, it is a slower crawl. Either way, it is not unexpected, therefore it doesn't bother me much.

However, there are some days it is a good thing I have a pretty even disposition and no firearms in the truck. Today was one of those mornings. I have to question the driving skills of someone sitting at light of a cross street, who, upon seeing a black Bravada (SUV) approaching the light at about 60 mph, decides at the last minute that he can enter the flow of traffic. At 7:20 this morning, at the Man-O-War interchange, this late model, black, Nissan Frontier XE, pickup truck with a small topper, license number 9205-LA, with a broken brake light on the drivers side, decided just that. While I didn't have to lock up the brakes or anything so drastic, I did have to tap them pretty hard and come down to 20 mph quickly.

There must be a point, just before the road rage takes over, that you have hold of your senses, that the decision to go for the horn or the Uzi is reached. I call this ORTODI (Overwhelming Response To Other Driving Idiots). That was the point I reached this morning. There was traffic in front of him that would have slowed me down eventually. There were 2 or 3 cars behind me that he would have had to wait on, had he chose to use his brains at all this morning.

If you, a reader of my blog, know this individual, tell him to consider himself fortunate this morning. I do not own a firearm. I am not anti-gun, I just don't have a need for one. I do not hunt. I have younger kids and grandkids that don't need to find a gun and experiment.

Anyway, I made it to work in one piece once again, and once again, I didn't kill anyone along the way. I consider this a good drive to work (as if driving to work can ever be considered a good thing).

No comments: