Monday, February 27, 2006

Fat Tuesday approaches

Is it that time already ?

I was in New Orleans several years ago (my 22 yr old was in diapers.) It was 1984. I was in Nawlins to work. Nawlins is how natives say it. If you say it any other way, the natives will gather around to take your money.

It was an exciting time. The World's Fair was there. The Space Shuttle was flown in for that, piggy-backed on a BIG JET. I was working on a building on St Charles Street, a major parade route and 2 blocks from Bourbon St.

On the actual day of Mardi Gras, I left town. We (Family and I) were living there in Slidell, just across the short (5.1 miles) bridge over Lake Ponchertrain. The long bridge was over 28 miles. The days leading to the event were strange/exciting enough.

As I said, we were on the parade route. We had 5 bucks of scaffolding up at the building. I was doing stucco work. When we got off at night and went home, parade watchers would climb onto our scaffolding and watch the parade. We would return the following day to find our scaffold strewn with Mardi gras beads. Every other day we would chase a sleeping wino out of our port-a-let.

Following MG, we were still inundated with party'ers.

We had an agreement with a neighbor to use her water for the several weeks we would be there and we would pay her water bill for that month. I was at her house, using the hose to fill our drinking water jug. It was my turn. An attractive gal came by and asked if she could have a drink. I informed her that the cups were around the hedge at out water set-up. She decided to help me carry the jug. When we got it set, I gave her a cup, she drank her water, and gave me a kiss for my trouble.

She then asked if I had a cigarette. I told her that I didn't smoke and suggested that she ask the guys working on the scaffold already. Many of them smoked. She yelled up to them about getting a cigarette. They asked her what her shirt said. It said, "Show your tits at Mardi Gras."

They said, "Well?"

She did and the cigarettes came flying off the building.

Such is Mardi Gras.
I hope Katrina didn't kill the spirit of the celebration. I further hope that the revellers keep in mind the condition of the city. Mardi Gras is about letting of steam. Nawlins might be in need of some gentler steam venting this year.

Party. Party safe. Party on.

No comments: