Thursday, November 24, 2005

My message to my family

Thankful

First, I am thankful for all of you.

I am thankful for patience. I am grateful for the way you have sometimes endured me. I am thankful for your perseverance. We come from two completely different places. Tammy and I talk about this occasionally, how different we are, how improbable we are, and how perfect we fit. Our fitting is not because there are not differences. It is because we know how to turn our differences and make them linking points in our relationship.

We, all of us, have learned to do that in some areas, with more to go. I am also thankful that we have the time to do that.

I am thankful that we are all here for one more year. I am thankful for the ups and downs. A level drive is a boring thing. You guys are lots of things. Boring is not one of them.

I am grateful for all your support this year in my career change. I hope you know that I am going to need more of it in the future.

I am thankful, that for all our bumps and mistakes, for all our misfit ways, we have each other. We may not be the envy of Hollywood, or the toast of Broadway. We will never be the wealthiest family in town. We will always be one of the richest as long as we continue to love without the boundaries of pettiness. As long as we hold each other up, we will never fall so far that we cannot rise again. This life may push us around at times, but it can never hold us down as long as we stick together in love.

We must keep thanks in our hearts. Thanks in our hearts:
Overlooks the hurts.
Ignores the sharp arrows.
Does not take into account a wrong suffered in haste.
Keeps our eyes on the riches around us.

We will never be more than we are today, if we forget how to be thankful.

No comments: