Thursday, June 01, 2006

The hand news

Well, I am off work today. I do not need to be driving.

Writing is difficult. It is weird. I can bend the two outside fingers all the way to the palm with no pain. I can bend the middle two fingers all the way to the palm with not pain. But, if I try to bend any three fingers, the pain is nearly unbearable. Tuesday, at work, I was addressing the envelop to send my assignment to Dr. D. I had the pen in my hand, holding it with my first finger and my thumb, and writing very sloppily. I twitched my middle finger and bent it in, instinctively. The PAIN shot to a 15. I broke out in a sweat. I almost threw up.

In 30 years of working construction, I cannot remember a pain that hurt as much. I still had to finish the address (which I did, painfully.) Then I had to drive home, picking Chris up along the way. I was in so much pain in my left hand, I couldn't even grab my seatbelt. When I picked Chris up, I had him hand me the seatbelt. I drove to Lex and met Tammy. We did the switch (Chris.) Then, I went home and took drugs. Eventually, the pain waned.

I went to my DR yesterday. She suspects that it is Gout. I never thought of that. The symptoms fit. She put me on several meds and told me to continue with the neurontin, if it works. So, here I am, not hurting as much (pain is at a 3 level now on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being intolerable,) not stoned this time, and still sleeping on the couch because laying down makes it hurt more ('bout an 8.)

Doc put me on Methylprednisolone and Cephalexin. She sent me for X-rays.

I have a follow up appt next week.

Oh yeah, I can now bend three fingers at once.

1 comment:

Retro Girl said...

I've heard Gout described as a pain that felt like "razor blades slashing you"....I am so sorry to hear about that...I hope the meds and ice packs help. Good thing, if it is Gout, they can probably get rid of it..unlike that pesky carpal tunnel...(as Tammy knows too well..and I do too -- just not as severely)... You're in my thoughts...I hope it gets better and better faster and faster!! *HUGS*