Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The real issues.

I can’t remember now where I heard the question, or where the idea originated in my head, but something sparked this query. I heard, or thought I heard something about defining events in a person’s life. I began thinking about my life and the things that define it. I thought about the things that brought me to this point, the things which make me who I am, and the things that I want people to think about when they think of me.

I would call these the real issues.

I thought about being the guy that finally accomplishes world peace. This is not to be my legacy. I will do well to accomplish peace in my own life. I will consider myself an extreme success if I can reconcile all the facets of my life and get them to co-exist in peace.

I thought about having millions of dollars. I know it is the dream of many to be financially independent. I just don’t see this as a real possibility and therefore it cannot be a defining event in my life. Also, one has to only look at the number of suicides committed by those considered to have it all. I know poor, lower class, hard working folks commit suicide as well, but if the absence or presence of money is not a differentiating factor, it cannot be a life defining event. These are just surface events in this equation.

I am convinced that in this country, there are more people concerned about supper than there are concerned about their investments. More time is spent in a day, trying to decide what to fix of dinner than is spent trying to decide what mutual fund might be the better investment. More people, every day, are concerned with getting the kids to their games, or practice, or their friends houses, than are concerned with making it to the airport in time to make that international flight. More people are listening to 10 year olds asking questions far advanced of their years than are listening to job counselors.

Elections and special sporting events may corner the nation’s attention from time to time, but they are merely the distractions that take our minds away from the real issues of each day. All my discussion of my political views does not change the direction of our country. It does not shape world policy. The real difference I make in this world is when I take time to spend one on one time with a kid, whether it be one of my students or one of my kids.

The real defining moments in my life are not centered around some election. They are not tied to any world event. They are the quiet and not so quiet moments in an ordinary life. Being in the delivery room three times to watch the wonderful miracle of birth made a great impact on my life. Watching a child fall, and rise, and fall, and rise, and finally walk, did more for me than every time I cast my ballot. Don’t be confused, I still believe in the power of the vote. I still cast my ballot every opportunity I get. However, the feel of a tiny hand, letting go of yours, to take their first halting steps alone, far outweighs the results of our mayoral race.

Talking about the latest major sporting event can never compare to talking to the kids about the events of their day. These are the defining moments in a real life. They are the quiet times we spend with someone we love. They are the moments that change us forever. They are the real moments. I will always be affected by the decisions of the President and the work of the Senate and House of Representatives, but they will never move me like the members of my inner circle. I read a paper once that told how to measure a man. It involved taking a pail of water and sticking your hand in it. Then you were to remove your hand, and the hole that was left was the measure. I can’t make much difference in a pail of water. I can make a difference in someone’s life. I can make a difference in a real way. I can make a difference in the real issues.

Now, what is for supper, again?

1 comment:

TammyJ said...

Poet..

You make an impact on every life you touch.. especially mine.. I love you