Thursday, March 16, 2006

The best last minute stand in sub ....

Once again, my class is inhabited with other non-electrical students. Our Health Sciences teacher is ill and the availability of subs is scarce. The High School has 4 unfilled spots as well. So, our principal has called on the 'go to' guy. (That would be me.) I have the students (23) here in my class. It is better than usual. Usually, my class goes to their class. This sucks as it takes my kids out of their element and puts me where I can't work on important stuff (like this) because of limited computer access.

I will report later (in an update) to let you know how the babysitting goes and what world events stir my indignation.
OKAY ... Back ... Took advantage of the break in teaching to work on my teaching philosophy statement for my portfolio. It follows. See what you think.

Philosophy Statement

My philosophy as an electrical instructor is to be a leader, first and foremost. I want to be someone the students respect for my expansive knowledge of the electrical field, based on my education and experience, both on the job and in my personal life.

One of my main goals is to reach and teach each student, to the best of my ability, the skills that I have been taught and acquired through experience so that each of them increases their employability in this field, regardless of their gender, race, creed, or color. I must strive to keep up with changes and advances in the industry to give my students the greatest edge in this highly competitive field. This will require me to keep up with technology and the needs of local industries. To do this, I must keep in close contact with both industry and students. I must become the conduit through which this information passes.

By having the latest information, textbooks, and materials, I will outfit my students to be advanced electricians. Hands-on applied learning will insure that the field is no stranger to my students. The experience gained will follow them throughout their careers, whether in this field of another. Everyone can learn something they will use in their lives in my class.

I must also be an example of good work ethics for them to follow. I will do this by being a good employee in their sight. In doing so, I will better equip them to meet the needs of employers, locally and beyond.

I will seek to be an example of good manners, honesty, responsibility, and respect.

I will instruct my students that my ‘job’ is to teach them to be electricians, problem solvers, rational thinkers, and quality employees. It is not my job to flunk them. I will not give out any unearned grade, but will assist any student in earning whatever grade they desire. Students will learn from classroom lecture, using videos, powerpoint presentations, and open discussion. Then, we will reinforce said instruction with hands-on projects that challenge and reward the students. Hands-on projects will include more instruction and the opportunity for personal attention.

It is my goal, realistic or otherwise, to help each student in some fashion. I fully realize that every student will not become an electrician, but that every student can benefit from the math, science, and problem solving skills that will be taught as a regular part of my curriculum on a daily basis.

I will lead, first by example, then by knowledge and instruction. I will lead my students into their futures. I will seek to give them the tools necessary to open every door of opportunity with which they are presented. I will have succeeded when I have given them the confidence to ask questions, and seek more knowledge.
There ya have it ...

1 comment:

TammyJ said...

Very well said my love