Thursday, March 30, 2006

A momentary respite

I have a space to breathe for just a minute or two, so I will try to catch ya up on some of the details of the highlighted activities.

The "return a car" and "buy a car" story is told on Tammy's blog. You can find that at
www.troubleshandful.blogspot.com

The student in handcuffs story is simple. One of my morning stars was in a mood, I guess. We were working downstairs in the shop, when he and another student started talking in the corner. I could hear the talking but wasn't tuning into the conversation. I was leading other students in instruction as to their part of that days project. In the back of my ear, I hear, "this MF said... And I said MF... blah blah blah" I turned to the student and cautioned him about his language.

I know the way these kids talk to each other. Profanity is just a by word for them. I don't agree with the casual use of profanity, but my agreement or disagreement is not going to change that fact. I don't write them up whenever they slip and forget where they are or who can hear them. I caution them. That usually brings an apology or an 'ok'. The incident is over.

The response was different that Monday morning. "J" said, "it ain't gonna F'in change." I told him that if it didn't change, he could just go to the office. "Well, send me to the GD office," he said as he threw his tools to the ground. He headed for the door. I headed for the door as well. "Oh no," he said, "you aren't going with me," and blocked the door with his 6'4" 300 pound frame. I moved him aside and told him that I was, in fact, going with him. "Then I ain't going." he informed me. "No problem," I assured him, "I will just call security." "Call F-ing security. See if I care."No problem, security called and responded in several minutes.

"J" was back in the classroom when I returned. I stayed in the shop with the students. Security arrived and talked to him for a short bit and then walked him out in handcuffs. Now, I know times have changed, but if I had cussed out a teacher and was defiant, I think I would have gotten more than one day suspension. That's right, all J got was a one day suspension. He was back in class yesterday while I was in questioning class.

Yesterday was my Questioning class. I liked most of what I heard, but have to strongly disagree with one thing. I think, by the time you are in high school, a wrong answer should be a wrong answer. I am not for crushing the self image of anyone, but when you are dealing with electricity, a wrong answer could mean serious injury or death to yourself or someone else. If you are on the right track, I'll tell you, but if you are just wrong, I am going to tell you that as well.

This generation is the generation that played T-ball and soccer and everyone got a trophy. We have coddled these kids until nothing they do is wrong. I agree that we need to praise them for the right things, but we cant make everything right and expect them to learn anything. Right answers are only right because something else is wrong. In the abstract or the real world, 2 plus 2 is not now, nor will it ever be 5.

My observation went well this morning. My Principal had asked me to show her how to replace an outlet. She wants to replace the outlets in her mom's house. So, with her observing (and participating) I taught today's lesson on "Replacing an Outlet" complete with outlets mounted in boxes on 18 inch studs. The students watched my PowerPoint presentation, listened to my lecture, and did a hands-on demonstration in which they actually replace an outlet. I got a thumbs up from her when she left.

Oh yeah, the Camaro needed a tranny mount, so it went into the shop today. Tammy took my truck for an errand in Louisville. The 'Ro will be ready when she returns.
So, how has yer day been?

No comments: