Thursday, July 28, 2005

The big yellow "toomoome" sign

Last night we (Tammy, Pete Angie, and I) went to Todds.

I went to sing, Tammy went to sing and drink. Pete and Angie went because they haven't had but one date in 6 years (I think that is what she said).

The crowd was sparse. For a while there the only people singing were Tammy, Mike, Hamp (who was also DJ'ing) and me. It was ladies night. Drinks for the ladies were 2 for 1. Tammy had her usual, Jack and Coke. Now.. Some places we go fix a Jack and coke with about an even mix. Todds fixes theirs with a glass of Jack and a squirt of Coke. We got there about 8:30 and left at 10:45. In that time Tammy had 4 J&C's. She was feeling good when we left. She actually shared her last one with Pete and Angie bought him 2, of which he shared the last one with Tammy.

I sang and drank water and sang. I did: Help Me Understand, My Heart Is Lost To You, Right Where I Need To Be, Tin Man, Cold One Coming On, Seven Bridges Road, Whiskey Lullaby (Duet with Tammy), and How Do You Like Me Now. That was all in just over 2 hours. It was a great night of singing.

When we got home, Tammy, Pete, Angie, and the kids sat out on the porch and talked about old times. Tammy has known Pete since she was a teenager. She hasn't seen him for years. It turns out he lives about a block and a half from us on the same street. So they reminisced.

Eventually, all parties went home around midnight and Tammy staggered to bed. At some point in the night, I needed to change sleeping positions. I was on my left side and needed to change to my right. Tammy was snuggled up right next to me (which isn't unusual). I touched her and asked her to move over so I could roll over her direction. I was sorta pressed to the edge of the bed. Generally, when this happens, she moves, I roll, and she snuggles back against me in the new position. Well, last night, when I asked her to move, she told me to wait. "What for," I asked. Her reply was strange ...

She told me she couldn't move until she saw the big yellow toomoome sign. Mind you, this was slightly distorted from the fact that she was slightly waking up.

I waited ... Nothing

I asked again. She told me she had to wait for the big yellow toomoome sign. I told her I didn't know what she was talking about. She said, "Wait, you'll see it." So, there I was, looking around the room in the almost blackness, waiting for some flashing sign.

5 minutes ... Nothing

Once again I asked. More clearly than before, she said, "I can't move until the big yellow 'to move me' sign flashes." I was rolling. She had finally snapped. Her mind was gone..

Finally she moved her upper body over a bit. Her bottom half didn't move. I pushed. No movement. I poked. No movement.

I have to guess that she must have seen the big yellow sign, because she suddenly moved over and allowed me to roll over. She snuggled back against me and we both drifted off to sleep again, in spite of the big yellow sign flashing above the bed that said, "To Move Me".

I told her about it this morning when she woke up. She has no recollection or knowledge of such events. It is the Reagan Defense. "I have no recollection of those events."

1 comment:

TammyJ said...

I still have no recollection of those events.. Imma thinking .. That is the last time Tonya makes my drinks tho.. love you baby..