Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The first day passed without incident

The first day with students was yesterday.

In my first/second period I have about 10 new 'eager to learn electricity' faces. I have a girl in the class. She came in and noticed she was the only girl. "Am I the only girl," she asked. "you are ... for now," was my response. She settled in and didn't seem to be intimidated beyond that point. I am sure that will work to her advantage.

Third block is my old class. They are the returnees. They decided that I didn't do so bad last year and would come back for dose # 2.

Fourth block is another group of newbies.

There were a few things that had to be fixed. I had one newbie in the second year class and one oldie in the new class. I called the counselors and got that switched. Also, in my first class, which covers two 45-50 minute periods, I had 3 students that were only there for the second half. This is not good. They will be missing a good deal of the teaching and would spend the year trying to catch up. I called their counselors (after discussing that with the students in question) and got them switched to have my class for the full 90 or so minutes.

It went smoothly the first day. We will see how long that continues.


On the bad news front, we learned yesterday that our principal is leaving for another school. We will have an interim principal after the 19th of this month, continuing on until a replacement is hired. I will miss Joe. He has been a great help to me in my first year.

1 comment:

Queen on the run said...

Thankyou for coming by my blog and leaving such a nice comment! Derek and I actually both have t-Mobile so we do talk for free! Which is a good thing because we talk constantly:) I like your blog! Being a teacher is such a noble profession. Hope to see you stop by again:)