Friday, May 26, 2006

Our own little terrorist

I was trying to watch the news this evening when Kyle (10) came in to tell me that he and Caimon were playing in the yard with toy guns, running and shooting, when the troublemaker down the street drove by a few times. Within a few minutes they say police at his house. They came in to tell me. I told them to play inside for a while.

A couple minutes later there was a loud knocking at my door. I answered to find a police officer, slightly crouched, hand on his undrawn gun, in the foyer. He asked if Malcolm, who was straining to see, would bite. I assured him that he wouldn't, stepped through the door, and closed it behind me. He asked if anyone was at home. I told him that my 10 yr old son and a 9 yr old friend were playing in his room. He asked if they could step outside. Once outside, they asked the boys to tell them what happened. He told me that they had gotten a complaint from the neighbor that Kyle was brandishing a weapon and pointing it at him, threatening him.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. There were at least 6 police officers on the porch and in my yard. There were two others, in no uniform, with orange wrist bands. They are part of Lexington's anti-terrorist squad. The one, most seemingly sensible officer, asked to see the gun that Kyle was playing with. Kyle brought it out. It was a pistol he got at the dollar store.

This officer said he was going down to talk to the neighbor. While he was gone, one of the bicycle cops told me that if Kyle had approached him holding that toy gun that he would shoot him. I was in shock. Here on my porch, a police officer was telling me that he would have no problem shooting a 10 yr old with a plastic gun. I was flabbergasted.

The first officer returned. He asked if there was any history with this neighbor. I told him about the neighbors charge, yet unproven, about Chris stabbing him. I told him about this neighbors repeated efforts to harass us and that this was just one more attempt at perpetuating that harassment. I told him that the boys usually play in the back when we know that JH is home. I didn't know that he was home. He added that it would be a good idea for the boys to play in the back yard. I have no problem with that, but refuse to be a prisoner in my home or yard.

The police begin to leave. The anti-terrorist boys headed back to their cars. Lexington was safe once again. In the past week or so, there have been three bank robberies. The police have not caught the robbers, but by damn, they did stop a 10 yr old terrorist with a plastic gun.

Doesn't that make you sleep better at night ?

1 comment:

Retro Girl said...

Don't feel bad...in Illinois they are more concerned with pulling over folks with tinted auto windows, than those who drive drunk, without licenses or speed 30mph over the limit.

It's sad when kids can't be kids and play anymore without being seen as a threat to national security. Sheesh!! Poor Kyle.