Thursday, May 11, 2006

Operator headspace

It is shaping up to be one of those morning .. Since yesterday afternoon.

After a great day at school, I drove toward the house. Tammy left my school shortly ahead of me, taking Chris (who was rained out) to Nicholasville. Chella and Justin were going to pick Kyle up and walk home with him. I decided, since I was in the area, to stop by and see if they wanted a ride. I couldn't get to the school. The police had the area barricaded. It seems they went to serve a warrant on someone a few doors up from the school and he decided to barricade himself in his house. The police and news media were there in masses.

I was able to back track around the area and come up to the school from another direction. The kids were fine and out of harms way. They even decided to walk home.

I proceeded to the house. I came in, well nearly, I opened the door and let the dogs out to 'doo doo' their business. I should have been suspicious when Malcolm ran out and proceeded with haste to fertilize the yard, while Lacey just ran around and looked. It didn't take long and they were ready to go in. I walked into the dark hallway and proceeded to step into Lacey's efforts to fertilize the hallway. Raz-a-fraz-a-raz-a-bracker !

A little later the kids arrived. Chella told me someone was on the porch telling her that his key to downstairs didn't work. It was the meter reader. He has to have access to the basement of the house to read the meter. We keep a padlock on the entrance to prevent (and it has happened) the local Hispanics from living under the house. It was off for a while and someone had gone in and pilfered through our stored items down there. There is no access to the rest of the house from this basement. It is where the electric panel and furnace reside.

I put the lock back on the door, or so I thought. It appears that I put the wrong lock on that door. It was another master lock. Not a problem, I had the key hanging on a nail by the computer. I went to get the key, and NO KEY !

I looked around the desk top and floor. NO KEY!

I told him I would find the key if he could come back tomorrow. He told me he would be back this morning at 6:30. No problem.

PROBLEM ! I looked everywhere and there was no key. It was not on any of the usual house rings or spare rings or individual rings. SO, at 11 o'clock last night, I was outside trying to remove the hasp to be able to open the door. With great effort I got 2 and a half screws out of the hasp ring. The third screw was being stubborn and the fourth screw was just refusing access all together. Finally, I got a pry bar and broke the hasp. Mission accomplished, the door would now open. I took my tools and my aching back (Arthur didn't like standing outside for that long) and went inside to bed.

This morning was going ok. I decided to stop at the Marathon instead of the Shell station. I was proceeding to Marathon when some student in an old blue Nissan got in front of me and decided to drive like he was from around here (like a moron.) I got aggravated with him and forgot to stop at Marathon. I turned around in the parking lot of the school and headed back out, passing a confused Principal coming in.

I got my breakfast sammich and my diet Dews, and went to pay. The change part of my bill was 36 cents. I fished in my pocket for sufficient change. Out came my keys, my jump drive, my folding money, my Bluetooth handsfree for my phone, 14 quarters, 6 dimes, 5 nickels, 14 pennies, and the LOST KEY to the lock. It was in my pocket all the time. AAARRRGGGHHH !

I went back to school while calling Tammy to tell her that I had found the key to the lock hanging on the broken hasp. She said that was a definite Tammy move.

School started, the bell rang, my students were gathered, we were going to work on our final project, when the classroom began to fill up with students. What?? I asked. The Welding students told me that Mr. B was not there and they decided to come to my class. I called Ms B (Principal) and asked what was going on. She was impressed with the students. They decided on their own to come into my classroom when their teacher was MIA. She called and he was not coming. So, it looks like I will be hosting the welding class today. Another day of productive class time shot to heck.

Did I mention yesterday about the dickhead teacher here getting on me for being out of my classroom while students were there. I had left my class to step next door to let the Automotive Teacher know that Tammy was bringing the Camaro in for an oil change. The dickhead Carpentry teacher came into the Auto class (out of his class with his student unattended) to tell me that I should not leave my students unattended. Am I the only one that sees the stupidity of his complaint ?

I don't leave my class often, or for very long periods of time, and only after assessing the behavioral attitude of my students. Hyper days, they are never left alone. Mellow day, they may be left for short periods.

Later, Mr G, was going to turn off the snack machines. Mr DH (DickHead) told him to leave them on. Then as each student entered the school, he stopped them and asked what class they were in. When they responded that they were in Mr G's class, he LOUDLY announced to them that they were not allowed to eat or drink in that class and must proceed away from the vending machines. One particular group, after their accosting, was asked, by me, LOUDLY, if this was "the first time they had heard this rule?" they responded, "NO."

Oh, to be perfect like Mr DH.

If the week proceeds down this path and doesn't improve over the weekend, I might 'entertain thoughts of suicide.' (vague reference to a commercial Kyle thought was strange)

Anyway, I hope your week is grand and weekend more grand. Send positive thoughts my way.

1 comment:

Retro Girl said...

Sounds like you've been running an obstacle course! lol. One thing to remember...at least "You Look Mahhhvelous" and so does that sexy redhead wife of yers!! Remember "It's better to look good than feel good, dahhling" (billy crystal doing fernando lamas on SNL) LOL.