Saturday, May 13, 2006

For every other day

posting it one day early ...

For Every Other Day

Looking back over almost 50 years,
There have been nearly countless days,
That were filled with special memories.

Forty-eight times, we have celebrated my birth,
Forty-eight Christmas days that we have shared,
Scattered in the midst, were graduations,
Holidays, family dinners, anniversaries, and such.

There were hospital stays on both sides,
And various sicknesses that brought a call or even a visit,
There were special prayers, and numerous events,
We watched my children grow and begin families of their own,
With me hoping, I did the same fine job as you.

It overwhelms my mind to sit and try to recall,
All the times I cried and you were there.
It brings a tear to my eyes even today, to think of it.

I cannot begin to call to mind all the times, I thought,
“What would Mom do?”

If I could recollect them all,
And write them down for the world to see,
If I could share all that I am,
Because of those special days,
It would still not begin to be enough
To say, “Thank you”

Even if it were possible to thank you
for every special time
I would still have to say,

“Thanks, for every other day.”

Happy Mothers Day
May 14, 2006

1 comment:

Retro Girl said...

Very eloquent...
Happy Mothers Day to You..and Tammy...Both a couple of wonderful parents and friends!