Thursday, April 13, 2006

Digging out my soapbox...

Stepping up to the mic ...

recently, in my beautiful home state of Kentucky, a student was ejected from the University of the Cumberlands for being gay. UC is a 1700 student institution in Williamsburg, KY. It is a Southern Baptist University. It states in its policies that homosexuality and premarital sex are not consistent with the Christian lifestyle. Regardless of how you or I feel about this policy, it is not my place to make such policies or rail against them.

It is a private university. It is a Baptist university. They have the right to make the rules for their university. They own it. I make the rules at my house, mostly. That is my right. No-one can tell me that I have to allow certain kids into my house. No-one has the right to tell me who I can refuse to hang out on my front porch. This is the same right that this school has.

It was spelled out in the policies in the admission forms that this student signed upon entrance. He knew the policies. Even knowing this, he opted to post in his MySpace that he was gay and discussed his homosexuality. I do not agree with the policy of the university, but it is their right.

He discussed his desire to leave the school on his MySpace as well. He stated that he hoped the school would kick him out.

This is all about the money, as usual. Avarice rears its ugly head. Greed talks the loudest. This kid, for whatever reason, was ready to leave the school, and figured he would bring it down and make a few bucks along the way. Look for a lawsuit. He is already bathing in the attention.
It doesn't matter if you are pro or anti gay. It is a fundamental right that the government seeks ways around everyday. All these liberalists calling for the school to lose funding or change the policy will be to ones screaming the loudest when the federal government invades their homes and tells them what they can and cannot do behind their doors. They are the loudest detractors when he government tries to invade our bedrooms and tells us what sexual games are allowed and what is not. Then they turn around here and call for that same Big Brother to step in here.
To me, the answer is simple. It is a private college. If you don't like the rules, do attend. Don't send your kids. Don't support them with your donations.

they are not alone.

Wayland Baptist University, Plainview TX: "The following behaviors may be grounds for probation, suspension or expulsion from the university: ... Premarital or extra-marital sexual relations or cohabitation on university property or in conjunction with university activities or functions."
Asbury College, Wilmore KY: "Certain behaviors are expressly forbidden in the Scripture and therefore are unacceptable in the Asbury community. These behaviors include theft (including plagiarism), lying, dishonesty, gossip, slander, profanity, vulgarity (including crude language), sexual immorality (including adultery, homosexual behavior, premarital sexual intimacy), drunkenness, immodesty in dress, and occult practices."

California Baptist University, Howard Payne University, Cedarville University, and Palm Beach Atlantic University, all have similar policies.

They are private universities. They can make their own rules.

My daughter attends a public magnet school. They have a dress code that I do not agree with, but she abides by it. She does because we want her in that school. I can disagree. It is my right. They can impose the code and enforce it. It is their right.

I do not need more government butting into my life and telling me who I have to allow on my porch any more than I want them to tell private colleges how to run their affairs.
Sliding my soapbox back under the bed.