Sunday, September 06, 2020

I, With Privilege


I, accepting of all

Beholding color

But not seeing it

Beholding gender

But not regarding it

Beholding orientation 

Sexual or otherwise

But not judging it

I, striving for fairness


I, of privilege born

You know,

The right color

The right gender

The right time

Afforded as a right

As others call privilege 

I, not asking

But not denying


Education

Born of privilege 

Opportunities 

Born of the same

Expectations

Driving me upward

Never equally given

Simple motivation

Still a privilege 

Of my choice-less birth


I, unable to stop

Being white

Being male

Being straight

What can I do

I must use these

To shine a light

To make a difference 

To bring a change


I, with a voice

Speaking out

And saying the names

You know them well


I, with hands

Raising them

In defense

Of the oppressed


I, with feet

Marching

Stepping out

Stepping up


I, with privilege 

Can not refuse 

To see

To hear

To act


I, with privilege

Must be the difference


I, with privilege 

Must bring the change


Because, only I

With privilege 

Can 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

September 3, 2020


No comments: