Sunday, September 27, 2020

Footprints in Stone


Scattered throughout my life

There are footprints

Remnants and reminders

Of those walking about me


There are footprints

Like those in freshly fallen snow

They are fleeting and seasonal

Disappearing quickly 

From sight and memory


There are footprints

Like the scuff marks on a hard floor

Words and deeds 

Vandalizing my heart

Some long lasting

But still temporary


There are footprints

Like those in the sand

Some in the harshness of the desert

Eventually swept away by the wind

Some in the serenity of the beach

Shortly washed away by the waves


Then, there are footprints

Forever prints deep in stone

Oh, the impact these have made

They have become landmarks

I find them at every major decision

I see them at my deepest sorrows

They are there at my greatest joys

Looking back 

I see their influence and effect


These footprints

Never seasonal

Never moved

By wind or wave

Always with me

Sometimes ahead, leading me

Sometimes beside, guiding me

Sometimes behind, urging me on


These footprints in stone

Now, have walked over the horizon

Yet, Still they lead me

Still they guide me

Still they urge me on

Still they surround me

Still with me in my joy

Still with me in this sorrow


These footprints in stone

Always with me 


For Mindy


© Ron Simpson Jr.

September 27, 2020


No comments: