Tuesday, March 06, 2007

So little time lately

In the short break I have between wolfing down my lunch and the advent of the next class, let me do some quick catch-up.
Dad has gone up and down since we last posted. He is doing better, but is currently not able to be weaned from the ventilator.

Tammy's dad has refused the procedure that will save his life.

My grandmother (dad's mom) has had a stroke and is in the hospital about 80 miles from us. she is stable but still largely unresponsive.
My Bro-in-law is in the hospital up the street from the hospital T's Dad is in. He is dehydrated and having shortness of breath. They think it is related to the dehydration, but are going to swing to the side of caution and admitted him.
Here is what I wrote last night after hearing all of this (save the treatment refusal which didn't happen until this morning).

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”

The lantern flickers in the wind
The flames lick at the fuel in the wick
Without knowing, the wind threatens
To extinguish this most vital light
The way is dark ahead
The path takes many dips and turns
Though the light is small
The security provided is ten feet tall

While the steps are slow,
They are sure
Each placed by the faith in the light
The winds do, as winds are to do
They buffet my soul
They whistle around my thoughts
They carry the cold and damp
They chill me to my core

And yet, here in this storm
There is this small light
That refuses to be smothered
It leans as the winds howl
It ducks as they gust
Then, slowly, it climbs again

Somewhere ahead
Our destination awaits us
What we seek is not here around us
It is further ahead

With this flickering light
And strength from reserves
Long since forgotten
We will go on

“Thy word
is a lamp
unto my feet,
and a light
unto my path”
Psalms 119:105

Ron Simpson, Jr.
March 5, 2007

No comments: