Friday, June 19, 2020

Without Arrogance

There is a certain arrogance 
To thinking you understand
Another person's experiences
Even my own empathy
Can only take me so far

I cannot write the truth
Of how one must feel
From the place of safety
Standing outside looking in
Or just being an onlooker

One cannot truly explain
The feel of the battle’s heat
Or the sounds and smells
I can only feel the remnants
Standing in the place you stood

I cannot live in your skin
I can walk where you walked
I can read the first hand accounts
I can think I understand
But, that’s just my arrogance

For this cause or any cause
There are those who must speak
Speak of sights, sounds, and feels
There are those who must listen
And record, without arrogance 

When the smoke clears
When the sounds of battle cease
When the weapons of war are idle
(Make no mistake, this is war)
We must embrace the words of peace

Words like:
Change
Sacrifice
Understanding
Tolerance
Listening

Without arrogance 

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
June 19, 2020

No comments: