Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Trapped

I want to write about love
I want the words to freely start
Love lives abundantly in my life
It is there as ever in my heart

I want to write about peace 
I want to draw the serenity
I want to paint the lazy calm
I want to pull you along with me

I want to write about joy
I want it to eloquently roll
I want to share my everything
To give the bright of my soul

It is not for any kind of lack
The words refuse to fall
But rather, they are trapped
Struggling against hatred’s wall

This trapping hatred is not within
The seething comes from without
It is on hand regardless where you turn
Bringing man’s continuation into doubt

We were not created for this cause
This didn’t come from hands above
We were made for honorable pursuits
Peace, harmony, joy, and of course, love

Somewhere deep within the process
As the foundational blocks were lain
Mixed with those blocks of love
Were blocks carrying hate’s damnable stain

Love’s hands may be bruised and bloodied
Breaking through this infernal barricade
Perchance to make an escape 
To release love’s plentiful cascade

I will write about love
I will write about peace
I will write about joy
Hate will not stop my release

Like the dew in the morning sun
The words of hate are evaporating 
The words of love, peace, and joy 
Show no indications of abating

Hate shouts louder
Peace is stronger 
Joy still lives inside 
Love stays longer

I will break the chains
I will break the wall
I will still write
Words conquer all

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
June 23, 2020

1 comment:

miruspeg said...

Another brilliant poem Ron.
We all feel trapped at certain times in our lives.
All the best
Peggy xx