Saturday, June 06, 2020

I Failed

I didn’t say the words
I didn’t do the deeds
I didn’t oppress anyone
I didn’t degrade anyone
I didn’t use race 
To hold anyone down

Still, I failed

I didn’t ask to be born white
I didn’t ask to be born male
I have a race card
I have a gender card
While I didn’t use them actively
I did use them passively

Every time 
I let my race work for me
I let my gender work for me
I played my cards
With or without trying
I left my cards on the table

I didn’t let race hinder relationships
This hasn’t changed even today
I love and have loved equally
My friends are an eclectic bunch
Even in the face of these facts
Still, I failed

Every time I listened silently
To an off color or racist joke
I failed
Every time I didn’t defend
Even the passive racism I encountered
I failed

Cain: “Am I my brother's keeper?”
God: “The voice of your brother's blood 
cries continually unto me from the ground.”

I failed

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
June 6, 2020

No comments: