Thursday, June 04, 2020

I Can’t Feel Your Scars


Stolen poem

I can’t feel your scars

As a poet
I depend on experience
Just not always mine

However, even being an empath
Doesn’t tell the whole story 
I can feel your anger and your rage
I can feel your frustration 
I can feel the faint glimmers of hope
I can feel the embers dying as well
I can feel your ‘now’
I can’t feel your lifetime
Of fear and oppression
Of shattered hopes
Of abandoned dreams
I can feel the hurt
I can’t feel the scars

“This, This situation here, is the depth of despair
If you are black, born in America
You have and will experience trauma”
Stolen from Corey Yeager, psychologist 

“It’s heartbreaking for us”
Stolen from Philip Goff, psychologist 

Shawn Shipman, Minneapolis PS
Decries “the lack of the handling
Of human life with care”

We have weaponized “being white”

What black parents teach their children
“Always remain aware of who or what 
Is watching you”
“Always take note of the police when driving 
And even when going the speed limit, slow down”
“If you are a passenger in a car and police appear
Make sure to alert the driver”
“Never look too long”
“Never linger too long”

“In 1863, the Negro was granted freedom
From physical slavery
But he was not given land
To make the freedom meaningful”
Martin L King Jr. 

“Emancipation was freedom to hunger 
Freedom to the winds and the rains
Freedom with no roof to cover your heads
Freedom without bread to eat
Freedom without land to cultivate
Freedom and famine at the same time”
Fredrick Douglas

Freedom without rights isn’t freedom
False hope is just a bus ride between prisons

I can stand with you
I can stand beside you
I can feel your hurt
But I can’t know the depth

I can feel your hurt
But I can’t feel your scars

I can’t feel your scars

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
June 4, 2020

No comments: