Monday, May 25, 2020

The End

If there is solely this life
Only these counted breaths
If there is no next life
Merely decay and worms
Still, how sad is a life
Filled with only getting

When it is all said and done
And all we have amassed 
Is wealth and it’s accoutrements 
Lands and houses which remain
Art and jewelry not following us
As the lid is closed, titanium or oak
It is inconsequential at this point

It has been written and said
We enter this life with nothing
We will leave it just the same
Even though it is only partially true

The sentiment is about half truth
We enter this measured existence 
With a finite number of heart beats
Each one bringing us closer to the last

How will I be remembered 
When I have used up all of my words
When I have spoken and heard my last
Who will remember and rehearse

When I have left behind
All my material gains
Small or vast
There are still questions

Have I made a difference
Have I helped others
Have I left this shared world
Better than I found it

Beyond the tomorrows
After my eventual end
Will there be remnants
Of my grace and kindness

Will I be loved
For the love I’ve shown
After all, it’s what matters
In the end

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
May 16, 2020

No comments: