Saturday, May 30, 2020

I Have a Voice

I am only one voice
But I am a voice

If there will be change
I must speak out
I must cry out
I must reach out
With my voice

If I do not step up
And speak out
My silence
Speaks for me

I am only one voice
In a cacophony of voices
Mine may get lost
In the cries of the crowd

Yet, on every platform
On every stage 
In every pulpit or soapbox
I have a voice

I may be crude and raw
I may lack finesse and eloquence
But my silence
Is far less acceptable 

You may not hear me
You may choose not to listen
This changes nothing
I still have a voice

I will speak my pain
I will speak my rage
I will speak my love
I will speak my peace

Some may not give attention 
Others may not care
Still, I must speak
I have a voice

There is hurt there
But hope lives there as well
In the nuances and inflections 
The sum of my experiences 

This 
This is my voice

These
These are my words

I have a voice

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
May 30, 2020

No comments: