Thursday, May 28, 2020

See Color

I hope I know what your heart meant
Or at least what it was trying to say
When you spoke these words
“I don’t see color”

I hope you were trying to say
“The color of your skin 
Doesn’t make a difference
In how I accept you as a human being”

While your heart and sentiment 
Were living in the right place
It is time to change our words
It is time to see color

The haters have always seen color
The oppressors have always seen color
It’s time the peacemakers and peacekeepers
See color as well

I see your black skin
I see your heritage
I see your pride
I accept and honor them

I see your brown skin
I see your customs
I see your beliefs
I accept and honor them 

I see your yellow skin
I see your ways
I see your legacy
I accept and honor them

I see your white skin
I see your traditions
I see your philosophies
I accept and honor them

I do not accept hatred
I do not condone violence
I do not tolerate oppression 
Regardless of the color it wears

I see you
I see your humanity
I see your worth
I see your color

I see your color

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
May 28, 2020

No comments: