Monday, September 13, 2010

Poetry .. Questions

Questions


If, by inattention

I allowed you to become my life

And then you walked away


If, even by design

I made you my whole life

And then you weren’t there


If, foolishly I guess

I lost myself in the wraps of you

And suddenly you slipped through


If, of late

I took you for granted and leaned too hard

And then you were gone


If, I only saw

The things about you I loved

And then there was something I disliked


If, by some twist of chance

You became my foundation

But you left, in the storm


If, I unwittingly

Became completely dependent

Then you did something unexpected


If, you became my rock

But turned out to be

A rolling stone


If, I made you my comfort

In the darkest of nights

And then couldn't find you in the blackness


If, my laugh

Became tied to your laugh

And then I couldn't hear it


If, my tears

Knew your wiping hand

But then, it wasn't there to stop them


Did you know

How much I let you become

And did it chase you away


Did my life

So entwined with yours

Begin to choke a little


Was I

Too dependent

Too independent


Was I

Too close

Too far away


Was I

Not enough

Too much


Will I

Love again

Trust to love again


Will I

Find another heart

Will I even look


Sigh,

There is no one

To hear my heart

As it continues

To ask the questions


If I

Did I

Was I

Will I


Questions


Ron Simpson, Jr.

September 13, 2010

No comments: