Monday, September 13, 2010

I think my body is staging a revolt ..

Last week was a phenomenal week for me in the weight loss arena.

I increased my walking and walked a total of 13.3 miles on my mostly morning walks.

I decreased my calorie intake without trying.

I don't stay hungry like I did before. Part of this is due to a thyroid condition, and part of it was due to a long time habit of eating (grazing) most of the day. I eat my regularly scheduled meals and typically avoid the snacks. Last month, of the 22 days I charted my eating, my snacks averaged 76.1 calories. This month (12 days in) my snacks are averaging 37.1 and in the last 7 days, 15.1 calories.

Yesterday morning, I was up nearly 2 hours before my alarm was set to go off. I was ready to take my 2 mile morning walk. Typically, I walk from my house and go out 1 mile or more and then I walk back. This way, once I have made the first part, I have almost no choice (except for the embarrassing call home .. come get me, honey) but to finish the walk.

Out the door I went with my timer set, and all the necessary parts and pieces in my pockets. I hadn't gone very far when my body said to me, "you do not want to be too far from the house this morning." (A fairly moderate sense of decorum prevents me from going into detail here.) So, with much disappointment I went only 1/2 mile out and 1/2 mile back and made it to the relative safety of the house and near proximity of the bathroom. Still, I did walk a mile.

Here comes Monday morning. It seems that nothing has changed. I did manage, albeit late, a 1 mile walk, but did not feel comfortable going much farther from the house.

There has been some sickness in the house lately and it seems to be affecting me as well. My wife and son just went to the DR and were diagnosed with Strep Throat. I haven't had any of the throat pain, but the queasy and uncomfortable stomach has stayed with me again today.

Maybe my body is staging a revolt. Well, it has ruled for long enough. I am taking back my life and my health.

Shorter walks are OK. There is a stationary bike just outside this room. On it I can go and go and go, and never get any farther from the bathroom.

Take that .

No comments: