Saturday, October 16, 2021

Home


In numerous travels 

Across the country 

Seeming endless hours 

Up and down the highways 


Long dark stretches of road 

Carrying their own sense of lonely 

Broken by the scattering of small towns

Bespotted with beckoning lights 


There is a vague sense of ease 

In the wavering flickering glow 

Something warm and inviting 

To chase away the lonely 


However, to me, it’s just another town 

I’m sure it has a name 

If I could remember the sign I passed 

I’m sure someone really loves this place 


To me, it’s just another town 

It’s just another set of lights 

It’s just a marking point 

On my way home 


My hometown name and distance 

Captured in my cars high beams 

Brings a special type of glow 

I’m coming home 


It’s a different kind of light 

The lights from home 

They carry a familiarity 

A warmth no other light can hold 


Just a few more miles 

Just over the next rise 

Just around the next curve 

There’s a place like no other 


My hands relax on the wheel 

My eyes sparkle with the light 

An unstoppable smile breaks out 

I’m almost home 


Suddenly I’m on familiar streets 

Making familiar turns 

Seeing recognizable sights 

My heart floods with joy 


Like every town or city 

We have our own set of problems 

We criticize and roast our politicians 

But, you’d better not speak against it


This is my home 


Not perfect 

Home

Not always right 

Home 


I’m home 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

September 22, 2021