Saturday, August 30, 2008

necessary panic

Sometimes a phrase will catch your eye after hearing it many times and never thinking about it. This is one such phrase. In an article about evacuations in Nawlins' as a prelude to the arrival of Gustav, the writer quoted authorities as saying they did not "want to create any unnecessary panic."

This brings to mind this thought: "There is a time of NECESSARY PANIC" ?

I don't mean to make light of the plight in Nawlins. Please do not take it that way. I am glad that some forethought is going into plans for evacuation, should it become necessary. According to the article, the state has a $7 million contract to provide 700 buses to evacuate the elderly, the sick and anyone around the region without transportation. It also has plans to let residents know, those that choose to stay are on their own. The Superdome will remain locked. If you choose to stay, you do so at your own risk. Fair enough, I think.

Still ... unnecessary panic. I can see in my mind (scary place) the police going through the streets with bullhorns announcing that it is "time for necessary panic." "all citizen are now required to panic necessarily."

"This is the police. All citizens will now panic."

And now an unrelated note from a little place I like to call reality:

While my baby was in the shop, Enterprise (only game in town) provided me with a rental car. Their first attempt was a Mazda3. I fit, barely. We drove it Tuesday night to church. OMGosh. I felt like I sat down and they molded the car around me. I went back to Enterprise on Wednesday and returned the tin can and requested something larger. I was even willing to go to Lexington if necessary to pick something else.

The biggest thing they had on the lot was a Kia Rondo. It was a cross between a minivan, a sewing machine, and an SUV. It was bigger. We took it. It wasn't great, but it didn't feel as cramped. It was an '08 with nearly 33,000 miles on it. The transmission slipped a bit. You could hear the cams rattling. But, since I wasn't buying it, only driving it, I didn't care. It got me from A to B several times and now my big red baby is back in the driveway. Happy camper.

1 comment:

Brighton said...

I hate rental cars. Seriously, even when I bring in my 'spensive Volvo I get an el'cheapo special.

Hate, hate, hate them.

As for Nawlins- if they stay they do so at their own risk. They do not have the right to be rescued by anyone. Nuff said.

Oh, and Gustav missed us ; )