Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanks (How else would a Thanksgiving Day blog start ?)

Traditionally, Thanksgiving is a time when we reflect over the past year and give thanks for things that have happened. It would be easy to just look at the last eight months and wish we could erase it all, for the most part. Tammy and I were counting, and death has crossed our path closely seven times in that time period. We both lost our fathers and our grandmothers. I have lost two great aunts, and we lost our next door neighbor. How simple it would be to take a giant eraser and begin rubbing away those months.

However, in that same year long time frame, there have been shining moments as well.

In December, we welcomed Abigail Kennedy to our small but growing list of grandchildren.

In June, we welcomed the six week early arrival of Cloe Danielle.

In August, we began the publishing process to have my own baby, "Journey Into Darkness." It is scheduled to arrive by the end of November or the first of December.

Add to that, that on any given day, I can call or find any of my seven children (yes, I do claim them all.) Every day I am surrounded by the love of those around me. Everyday, the tall redhead finds ways to show me how much she loves me and gives me room to fall more deeply in love with her.

You can keep that day eraser away from my year. I'll take the hard with the pleasant. I'll keep the sorrow stored neatly beside the joy. I will be thankful, for while I did lose a few this year, I had the joy of knowing them for many years.

I am thankful today, as I try to be every day. I am thankful for the things left to me. I am thankful that I can feel the loss and can tell the difference. I am thankful that we are adding to family and making new friends, even in the midst of our losses. I am thankful for so many positive changes in my life. I am thankful to God for His Love, His Grace, and His Mercy.

I am thankful for you.

No comments: