Monday, September 17, 2007

It is a small town

This morning we were awakened to the sound of sirens. There were police and fire trucks screeching their way around us. Now, we do live 2 blocks from the police station and just over 2 blocks from a fire station, so the sirens are not alarming. It didn't necessarily mean there was a fire in our neighborhood.

However, as we got moving about, we noticed a smell of smoke in the air. The fire was close. the smoke was hovering close to the ground because of the cool morning temps. We knew it was not far away. As I left for work, I went out the back and down to main street. Looking right, I could see about two blocks down a mass of flashing lights. The Police had the street blocked. Ambulances were scattered about. There are apartments in that area. I figured one had turned on some heat because of the low temps (50's) and started a fire. I hoped everyone was OK.

My day progressed. As I usually do as I drive home, I called Tammy. I asked her if she had heard of any news on the morning fire. Well, she had. That was when the humor of the situation started.

What was on fire, down the street, early in the morning, was the FIRE STATION. Yes, the only fire station located within the city limits was burning. There are 6 fire stations located in Montgomery County, but to my knowledge this is the only one within the city limits. No one was hurt in the blaze.

Yes, it is a small town.

1 comment:

Retro Girl said...

I can't help but laugh...lol. That is funny..and IS great no one was hurt. But I have to say....only in Mt. Sterling. I had a friend from college who was from Mt. Sterling and she often told funny stories of small town montgomery county foiables...lol. It's a great town though...

Gahhh I miss KY!!!!
And you and Tammy too!!