Monday, August 17, 2026

Older Eyes


The past is never where 

you think you left it — 

Katherine Anne Porter 


Older Eyes


Looking back

with older eyes,

I see the lies

braided into memory 


I see old events

tilt and shift 

their angles changed

by the years 


The person

who lived those moments

is gone now —

though fragments of him

still breathe

in what I remember 


I walk through rooms

I once lived in 

but the furniture

has moved 


The light falls differently 

The shadows

no longer match

the stories 

I told myself 


Some days

I open a drawer

and find a version of me

I forgot I’d hidden — 

a stubborn belief 

a wound I swore

had healed 

a joy I didn’t know

I missed 


Memory is not a ledger

keeping score 

It is a tide

that drags pieces of us

forward and back 

reshaping the shoreline

of who we think we are 


History

is not an old box

shoved into an attic 


It is a living thing

that revises itself

with every breath 


It moves 

It mutters 

It walks beside us

whether we notice

or not —

reminding us

that the past

is never where

we think we left it 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

August 16, 2026 


No comments: