Friday, March 03, 2023

Sans Purpose


Considering purpose 

What is mine

Where is mine

What am I doing 


Feeling

Out of place 

Out of my time 

Useless 


I find 

No refuge 

No safe harbor 

Such is a life out of sorts 


Like a ship 

Out of water 

Like a satellite 

Broken on the ground 


Like a heart 

Struggling to love 

Or perhaps 

To feel love returned 


Purposeless

Out of my control 

As if purpose abandoned me 


Maybe I wasn’t watching closely 

Maybe I took it for granted 

Perhaps I let it slip away 


Now 


I’m just a ship 

Out of water 

Leaning precariously 

Useless 

Bordering on eyesore 


Recipient of pity 

Do not waste energy 


This is the world I created 

This is my due 

This is my just recompense 

Invest your kindness elsewhere 

Leave me to my ruin 


If there is any hope 

It resides in recognizing my state 

Sans pity 

Sans compassion 


This stark and cold reality 

Devoid of illusion and delusion 

Like the ship out of water 


Leaning 

Useless 


Perhaps here at last 

I have found my purpose 


The example to avoid 

The state to eschew 


Filled once with possibilities 

Exhausted on shore 


No expectation 

Just purposeless reality 


Go 

Leave me 

Live your life of purpose 


While I wait in stillness 

Waiting for a tide 

Which will never come 


Sans purpose 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

No comments: