Monday, February 13, 2023

That’s Why


I can tell you 

What I love about you 


I love how you love me 

I love how you hold me 

I love the way you see me 

I love how you take care of me 


I love the feel of your skin 

Beneath my fingertips 

I love the sound of you breathing 

Beside me through the night 

I love catching sight of you 

Through a doorway as you pass 

I love the many scents of you 

Lingering in the air after you’re gone 

I love the taste of your lips on mine 

After we kiss 


All of these things 

While tied to the why 

Are not truly the why 


When I think to know why 

It was not an easy query to resolve 

I found the answers 

Lay not on the surface 

But rather deep within 

In the core of me 

In the places not affected 

By the daily struggles 

Or even the pleasures of life 


When I look 

At the hollow places 

Of my heart 

I find you there 

Fulfilling me 

Completing me 


When my heart is fearful 

It is within my love 

I find courage to go on 


In those rare times 

The world presses in 

In you I find peace 


You are the strength 

I look for each day 

When mine isn’t enough 


However

These are merely tendrils 

The why is deeper still 

It is entwined throughout 

Bonded with my very essence 


As I try to pinpoint it 

It is here 

It is there 

And it is there as well 


In my search 

I have discovered 

I love you 

Simply because I do 


That’s why 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

February 7, 2023 


For Tammy 

In anticipation of our 

20th Valentine’s Day together 

No comments: