Thursday, December 31, 2020

Looking Ahead


We are bearing hard

On the end of this year

Where, traditionally 

We look back in reflection


We turn our sights

On the place we began

And the placement of our feet

Seeking growth in our inspection


Throughout this year as ever

There have been gains and losses

There have been highs and lows 

There was growth in many directions 


While I would never discount the year

Despite the horrors contained therein

It is a year best left in distant memory

But I fear, it must remain in introspection 


This has been a year of growing pains

At least, I hope we grew in humanity

And didn’t just have the pain

Those answers lie in self-examination 


Perhaps we didn’t always use the best judgment 

At times we spoke without complete kindness

Maybe our heads or hearts weren’t in the right place

I suppose this was the year for such aberrations 


Yet, with my feet firmly planted on yesterday

I lean forward, falling into tomorrow 

With a heart filled with hope and faith 

And my head filled with joyous determination 


Today, 

I will glance back at those things past

I will set my gaze at those things ahead

I will determine in heart to be a better self

I will walk with hopeful expectation


Looking ahead


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

December 31, 2020

No comments: