Friday, April 24, 2020

The Struggle

When it happened
It was as if my heart 
were ripped from my chest 
All of my existence
Lay torn and tattered
Nothing happened 
Which did not exacerbate
The pain my life had become

The effort required just to breath
Was immeasurable beyond my ability
The combination of your words
Both razor sharp and hammer blunt
Creating lacerations and contusions 
Everything bleeding or broken
I realize, now, looking back
I’m pretty sure something died 

Every remembrance 
Of the days, the events
Especially the rage of the words 
Would bring afresh undeniable agony
How could this rage exist
What hurt or hatred created this
How could such vitriol and force
Build unknown or unnoticed 

Daily, I wrestled with questions
What I did or didn’t do
What I could or couldn’t have done
Would anything have made a difference 
Was this just an inevitable conclusion 
Were we doomed from the beginning
How can I find the tattered pieces
What will bind my broken heart

How do I get from this place of misery
What steps do I force myself to take
Upon which path must I stumble
Where will I find strength and saving grace
How do I find my way from chaos to peace
How will I get to the eventual day
The day the memories come
Unaccompanied by the pain

The struggle
No assurance 
No plotted course
No completion date
No planned celebration 
Just today’s struggle
Until the mercy of fleeting sleep
A brief respite

Tomorrow 
The struggle continues 

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
April 18, 2020

No comments: