Monday, June 27, 2022

Drifting


In one life 

Memory is like a sea 

Always filling it’s banks 

Yet, always adding more 


Every person 

Every event 

Every day 

Every moment 


Today, we gathered 

In your memory 


I saw family and friends gather 

I saw memories shared 

I saw the goodness of a man 

Rehearsed by those he knew 


In this sea of memories 

I found myself drifting 

I had chosen no direction

I went where the sea directed 


I saw small groups gather 

Eventually to scatter 

Then regroup with others 

As the memories flowed 


I saw the parts and pieces 

Scattered about 

Begin to coalesce 

As the picture of you emerged 


This sea 

This ever expanding sea 

Filled the entirety of the house 

It carried our hearts with grace 


Peacefully 

I drifted 

In the sea 

Of memories 


We gathered to say ‘goodbye’ 

Yet, found ourselves saying ‘hello’ 

We gathered for a purpose 

Yet, found ourselves drifting 


Drifting 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

June 27, 2022

No comments: