Saturday, August 29, 2020

This Temporary Goodbye


It’s never easy to say goodbye

Especially to someone you’ve known

For the entirety of your life


How do you stop hearing 

The beats of the heart

Which you have always heard 


If I could rewind and stop time

I would go back a few days

And there linger a while longer


I would touch your hand

And feel its warmth once more


I would hear the familiar sounds

Of life in your breathing


I would feel your arms around me

Giving the comfort only you could


I would put my heart

Next to yours one more time


In time

I will feel your warmth again

I will hear you near me

I will embrace your comfort

And within my own heart

I will hear and feel

A familiar rhythm


In time

Another time

You will be with me

As always


Today, however

I will struggle

With this temporary goodbye


For Dorothy & Theosa 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

August 20, 2020


No comments: