Sunday, March 15, 2020

Stains

Stains

The doctors gave it their best guess
They created a time frame for life remaining
Life, however, chooses its own timing
At some point, we all gathered for final goodbyes

It would be so easy to focus on the span
But life isn’t all about its beginning 
And it’s certainly not all about its ending
Life is about the things we stuff in between 

I held your hands several times for a bit
In what we knew were the final days and hours 
The conversation was decidedly one sided
And in the gaps, I studied your hands

There were the expected wrinkles
There were scars accrued in a lifetime
Most of them remnants of forgotten injuries 
And perhaps some even well remembered 

What caught my writer's imagination 
More so than the wrinkles and scars
Were subtle, nearly unnoticeable stains
Stains from a lifetime of labor and living

As I contemplated the discoloration 
It came to me quite abruptly
In those stains was my living as well
I was part of the stains on these loving hands

These hands provided my childhood 
They paid the way for my adolescents
They made my secondary education possible
So many things in my life came with these stains

I looked at my own hands
There were wrinkles and scars 
There may have even been the hint
Just the beginning of a stain 

In all I love about my chosen profession 
The challenges and accomplishments 
I love that it provides a living
For me and those I love dearly

It gives me wrinkles
It gives me occasional scars
It gives me daily and lifetime stains
Hands to be considered during word gaps

Wrinkles
Scars
Stains

© Ron Simpson Jr. 
March 15, 2020 

1 comment:

miruspeg said...

Brilliant piece of writing Ron.
Namaste
Peggy xxxx