Thursday, September 17, 2026

Am I Worth It?


Take the time to look into my eyes—

not the steady ones I practice 

but the ones that flicker 

when I’m afraid you’ll see too much 

and walk away 


Take the time to see me—

the part that wants connection 

and the part that flinches from it 

the part that reaches 

and the part that retreats 

because I’ve misread people before  


Take the time to tell me 

I’m not forgotten—

because some days I convince myself 

I’m easy to overlook  

easy to replace  

easy to leave behind  


Tell me I’m not alone—

because I’ve learned  

how to look composed  

even when I’m unraveling quietly  

in the corners no one checks  


Tell me we’re in this together—

not everything 

but at least this part  

the part I don’t show often 

because I don’t want to burden anyone 

with the weight I carry  


Will you see me 

beyond our casual conversation  

beyond the version of me 

that hides the questions 

I’m embarrassed to ask? 


Will you hear me 

beyond the words I say  

beyond the careful tone 

I use to sound fine 

even when I’m not?


Will you know me 

beyond the image I project  

beyond the competence  

the calm  

the practiced strength 

I wear like armor  

hiding my tender parts? 


Will you take the time—

the real time  

the inconvenient time  

the time that asks you 

to sit with me 

when I’m not easy to hold? 


(Am I worth it—

not just when I’m steady  

but when I’m uncertain  

when I’m afraid  

when I’m trying to believe 

that I deserve to be seen at all?)


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

September 15, 2026


No comments: