Tuesday, August 04, 2026

Poems … and other lies I tell

 Poems

and other lies I tell


Words have always been my friends —

old conspirators 

faithful accomplices 

I have been described

(by friend and foe alike)

as smooth, silver‑tongued 

a man who can talk his way

into a fire

and talk his way back out

without singeing a hair 


Words have walked me into trouble

and walked me right out again 

They have been my shield 

my sleight of hand 

my polished coin flipped in the air

to distract from the cracks beneath 


They have built a façade —

an illusion of stalwartness 

a scaffolding to cover the works 

to hide the trembling joists

and the soft spots in the grain 


A lie, perhaps 

but a useful one 


Because poems —

these little architectures of breath —

are the lies I tell

to get at the truth 


They are the stories I stack

to keep the roof from caving in 


careful distortions —

revealing more than they conceal 


And maybe that’s the trick:

the words are never the deception 


The silence is 


The quiet corners 

where the truth waits 

unadorned 

unpolished 

asking to be seen 


So I write 

I build 

I lie just enough

to make the truth bearable 


I tell stories

until the scaffolding becomes a home 

until the façade becomes a face 

until the words 

my friends, my accomplices —

finally tell on me 


© Ron Simpson Jr. 

August 4, 2026 


No comments: